South African documents being legalised for use in countries which aren't signatories to the Apostille Convention (such as China, Taiwan and Vietnam) have to follow a slightly longer process, involving having them authenticated and then submitting them to the relevant Embassy for legalisation. To see which countries are signatories to the Apostille Convention click here.

The processing time for authentication of documents is approximately 4 - 7 working days (country dependent).

Documents we can Authenticate

  • Home Affairs Documents (Birth and Marriage Certificates, Letters of Non-Impediment, etc)

  • Academic documents (Degrees, Diplomas, Matric certificates, etc)

  • Police Clearance Certificates

  • Medical Reports

  • Passport Copies, Letters, Notarised Powers of Attorney, Divorce Orders, etc.

  • Contracts and Trade / Shipping Documents

Where can Documents be Authenticated?

The majority of documents that are required to be authenticated can only be authenticated in Pretoria as this is where DIRCO (The Department of International Relations and Cooperation a.k.a Foreign Affairs) is located.

In order for documents to be authenticated they have to go to one or more of the following places:

  • Notary Public and the High Court

  • Departments of Basic and Higher Education as well as Umalusi

  • HPCSA (Health Professions Council of South Africa)


  • The Relevant Embassy / Consulate


China and its Authentication Requirements

The authentication process for China is made up of two parts, being as follows:

  • Part 1: The documents must first be authenticated through the relevant departments and DIRCO in Pretoria.

  • Part 2: The authenticated documents must then be submitted to the Chinese Embassy / Consulate for legalisation.

  • Authenticated documents can only be submitted to the Chinese Consulate which has jurisdiction over the area where the applicant (not the agent) is based. The table confirms the areas covered by each Consulate.

  • We are based in Pretoria in the mornings and will therefore require you to provide us with an address in either Pretoria, Limpopo, North West or Mpumalanga (yours / a family member's / a friend's) should you wish for us to assist you with parts 1 AND 2 of the process.

Common Documents Requiring Authentication for China
  • Degrees / Diplomas

  • Police Clearance Certificates

  • TEFL / TESOL Certificates

  • Unabridge Birth Certificates (if taking your children over with you). Must be stamped and signed by Home Affairs

  • Marriage Certificates (if taking your spouse over with you). Must be stamped and signed by Home Affairs


Our Promise

With over six years of experience in the authentication of documents, we can confidently state that we are experts in this field and will have your documents authenticated and returned to you efficiently and without errors.

Our Fees and Getting Started

If you would like a quote or need more information, call us, email us or simply click on the button below and complete the form.


2017 by Be Authentic.

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon

011 513 3510 | 083 235 4921 |

Spaces Building (formerly The Business Centre)

Leslie Ave, Design Quarter District, Fourways 2191